Pumpernickel - It's What Was For Breakfast in Boise Idaho

Last edited on April 28, 2017

Homemade pumpernickel toast, heirloom navel oranges, Braeburn apples and a fresh cup of coffee were on the menu at my house in the Boise, Idaho area on April 27, 2017.

It's what is for breakfast


The Star Of The Show Was Pumpernickel

This was the second loaf of pumpernickel bread I made this week and actually ever in my life. The dark bread was very dense and heavy, just the way I like it. The first loaf I made was slightly less dense so I decided to bake up a second loaf. It turned out awesome.

Thanks to the Hamilton Beach Model 29882 Bread Machine, the process of making fresh homemade bread is sort of easy. It takes about four hours bake a 1 1/2 pound loaf of bread. That includes getting all the ingredients out of the cupboards to pulling the fresh loaf out of the bread machine. In reality, total real work time is about 20 to 30 minutes including clean-up. Well worth it.

I may replace the regular flour with more whole wheat flour next time

Link To My Recipe:  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gr9ZnX7T6SPfnLh3CVMOLCRkWwWCsKpu5rPhW7IdCAk/edit?usp=sharing

The Second String

The heirloom navel oranges I have been buying since December 2016 have been crazy good. I had no idea there was a difference between John Doe's navels and Heirloom navels but the research I've done indicates there may be an advantage to buying Heirlooms.

Here is what Eric from http://www.eatlikenoone.com says about heirloom navels:
"The heirloom navel is the same fruit that got California’s citrus industry booming.  It’s the original or “old line” Washington  Navel and has been bred over the years to produce more fruit, easier, and faster without considering flavor.
Heirloom navels are grown using certain farming practices.  The grower gives special attention to the soil, just like it was done since navels were introduced to America from Brazil in the 1800s. The secret is to use the best root stock.
The heirlooms grow best in a  sour root stock. This stock is not commonly used anymore because the trees don't produce fruit as heavily or as quickly than in newer root stocks. Doing things the right way is what gives the heirloom navels their amazing taste. You will never want a “regular Navel” again."

"I have to agree with Eric. I don't need to try any other type of orange as I believe I have tasted the best ever." - Tim Bondy, April 2017

The Apple Was Sweet

I just started eating apples. The calories in a banana as compared to half an apple was enough to make me change. In addition, the bananas in my grocery stores haven't been ripe enough to buy recently. So I'm slowly working my way through various varieties to find out which apples I like the best.

The Braeburn has a good texture but may be too sweet for me. The two I have eaten have been more like candy than fruit. We'll see what number three taste like before moving on from this New Zealand grown variety.

An apple a day ...


Here is a little information from Wikipedia: (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braeburn)
The 'Braeburn' apple is firm to the touch with a red/orange vertical streaky appearance on a yellow/green background. It was discovered as a chance seedling in 1952 by the farmer O. Moran from Waiwhero in the Moutere Hills near Motueka, New Zealand.
It was then cultivated by the Williams Brothers nursery as a potential export variety. It is a seedling from the 'Lady Hamilton' apple. The apple itself is named after Braeburn Orchard near Motueka, where it was first commercially grown.
Braeburn apples have a combination of sweet and tart flavor. They are available October through April in the northern hemisphere and are medium to large in size. They are a popular fruit for growers because of their ability to store well when chilled.

Call To Action

If you liked this story, please consider sharing the post with your friends and family. You can also provide other feedback by simply clicking a "Reactions" checkbox at the bottom of this story or commenting. Go ahead ... do it.

Originally published on April 28, 2017.

Thanks,


Tim Bondy
Freelance Writer & Citizen Journalist

I am currently a proud citizen journalist, aka "enemy of the American People!"
.

Bondy's Most Recent Musing

Local Political Forum Was About What Was Left Out

The October 17, 2017, Political Forum in Mountain Home, Idaho was interesting. Here's my opinion on that event. The 2017 Mountain Ho...

My Most Popular Stories