Recently we bought a bread machine and started baking our own breads. The process is very simple once you have all the ingredients. Most of the items are available at your normal grocery store although, some ingredients are much cheaper to buy online. Here is how I did it.
|Home made bread "Tim Bondy Writes" style|
The Bread Machine - Hamilton Beach Bread Machine - Model Number 29882
Step 1 - Decide To Make Whole Wheat Bread
|Bread ingredients lined up in the order they will be put into the bread pan.|
Step 2 - The Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil. Olive oil may work too.
- 1 1/4 cups of room temperature water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup sunflower, sesame or flax seeds for more texture/flavor
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of bread machine yeast
|All the utensils I needed for making bread|
Step 3 - Directions for a bread machine like the Hamilton Beach 29882
- Put all of the ingredients into the bread pan in the order listed above.
- Put "filled with ingredients" bread pan into the machine and close the lid.
- Program your machine for whole grain bread.
- Program your machine for the type of crust you might like. My machine doesn't give me a choice when using the whole grain setting.
- Program your machine for a 1.5 pound loaf.
- Push the start button.
- After about 15 minutes, the machine will knead the bread into a ball of dough. I suggest raising the lid and making sure the dough isn't too watery or too dry. You'll learn as you gain experience.
- When the machine indicated the bread is baked, remove it from the machine.
- Turn the bread pan over and remove the cooked loaf onto a plate or cooling rack.
- Important: let it cool or you'll burn your tongue if eating immediately after cooking. See, experience is critical.
|Bread pan filled and ready to place into the bread machine|