Idaho Mountain Biking - Endless Possibilities

Last edited on April 30, 2017

I'm on a journey to "getting in shape and having fun" and mountain biking may be a small or large part of that adventure. There is plenty of challenging places to ride not far from Boise, Idaho. But with just a little research, near-beginners like me will find hundreds of miles of one-track, two-track and dirt roads to discover your biking legs and lungs.

Mountain biking in the Mount Bennett Hills

What, Who, Where, When And Why Did This Happen?

I'm a long time mountain biker who hasn't really been on a mountain bike for about four years. The old adage of "you never forget how to ride a bike" is true. I didn't. But I did forget some of the basics of mountain biking. So in effect, I forgot how to have fun and to not chew off more than an out-of-shape guy can handle.

I picked a rutted and somewhat muddy two-track in the shadows of Teapot Dome (43.1614833, -115.5178194) in southwestern Idaho for my first attempt at a comeback. I also picked a day that featured northwesterly winds gusting in excess of 35 mph/ 30 knots / 16 M/S.



Along for this short adventure was Charlie the yellow labrador. He had a blast chasing bird, smelling new smells and slurping out of mud puddles left over from the recent rains. Those mud puddles also meant I had to get off my bike and step over or around them way too often.

Why? I had to test out the new stuff on my "vintage" Cannondale SM700 to see the equipment is ready for a longer and more interesting ride in the near future. The new equipment included:
  • Schwinn MTB Tire with Kevlar, 26-Inch x 1.95-Inch
  • Slime 30027 Lite Smart Tube, Schrader Valve - 26 x 1.75-2.125" 

Call To Action

If you liked this story, please consider sharing the post with your friends and family. You can also provide other feedback by simply clicking a "Reactions" checkbox at the bottom of this story or commenting.

Go ahead ... do it.

Originally published on April 30, 2017.

Thanks,


Tim Bondy
Freelance Writer & Citizen Journalist

I am currently a proud citizen journalist, aka "enemy of the American People!"
.

Bondy's Most Recent Musing

Local Political Forum Was About What Was Left Out

The October 17, 2017, Political Forum in Mountain Home, Idaho was interesting. Here's my opinion on that event. The 2017 Mountain Ho...

My Most Popular Stories