Peak 5913 Oasis Hike In The Danskin Mtns

Last edited on May 27, 2017

This strenuous May 14, 2017, hike in Idaho's Danskin Mountains just south of the South Fork of the Boise River was spectacular for both its scenic beauty and sense of accomplishment. While the weather was cool, gray and windy, this ridge to ridge to ridge hike located just off National Forest System Road 131 was one of my favorites in the past few years.

Danskin Mountain Peak 5913 can be seen in the distance
Taken from the half-way point, Peak 5913 has a large rock formation on its summit.

Tim Bondy's Hike Commentary

I wasn't looking forward to this hike. I knew it was going to be steep, windy and pretty much atypical of the other hikes I did in this area. But the views, greenery, and scenery were special. With views extending miles into the high peaks of Boise Mountains and even out into the Snake River Plains and down into the South Fork of the Boise River Canyon, who could say no to all that? Not me.

The trailhead is located not far from the headwaters of Cow Creek and heads sharply up a ridge to the northwest. Land ownership on the earth I tread during this hike started off on Bureau of Land Management land and then quickly transitioning into National Forest Service lands as I followed one ridge line to the next. Private property would only come into play on this hike if I had decided to bail on the return leg to the south into the West Fork of Long Tom Creek to the south. I didn't.

My plan was to hike the ridgelines between eight different peaks. My GPS tracks indicated I came pretty darn close as I stepped foot on seven of the eight peaks. However, I don't remember referring to my map during any part of the hike up. Pretty simple route.

Unknown Peak and Flats on the north side of the Boise River in Idaho
A Flats and Peak sitting on the north side of the Boise River

I'd have to say the best view was of the Irish green high prairies (or flats) to the north of Peak 5913. The distant snow-capped peaks in this record snow year certainly added to the views. There was one particular flat or prairie that I didn't recognize located about three miles to the northeast of my route. It may be part of "Sproule Flats" sitting on the north bank of the Boise River. The topo maps I have do not identify the flat but I will climb up there in the next few weeks.

Sitting on the peak was rather special but windy, windy, windy. When it was time to head back I already knew the route back would be close to the path I took up. I did deviate a little to avoid a particularly steep section but alas, that route was also quite steep or maybe steeper than the original tract. "The grass is rarely greener" when hiking.

The Map

The Hike Specifics And Other Information:

Total Hike Mileage: 4.42 miles
Time On Trail: 4:15 hours
Elevation Gain/Loss: +/- 2,154 feet
Slope: Average =  17.3% Max =  +44.5% / -47.2%
Trailhead Coordinates: 43.339753, -115.569240
Facilities: None
Peak 5913 Coordinates: 43.354106, -115.596013
Link To More Photographshttps://goo.gl/photos/FhYuGaYTeYD4jTdi7
Road Miles From Downtown Boise, Idaho: 68 miles

Elmore County Outdoor Concierge Services

"Elmore County Outdoor Concierge Services" Offer:

Newcomers Price: $35
If you are in the Elmore County area of Idaho and are in need of some guidance for where to go for a hike, mountain biking, fishing, rock hounding or ATV riding, I can help. I will personalize a trip for you, provide digital map(s) and offer some suggestions to make the trip a little easier to do.

If you are interested in one of my custom designed adventures, contact me through a comment on this story or call me at 208-598-0264. There is also a contact me form located in the side menu of this website.

Call To Action

If you liked this story, please consider sharing the post with your friends and family. You can also provide other feedback by simply clicking a "Reactions" checkbox at the bottom of this story or commenting. Go ahead ... do it.

Originally published on May 27, 2017.

Thanks,


Tim Bondy
Freelance Writer & Citizen Journalist

I am currently a proud citizen journalist, aka "enemy of the American People!"
.
P.S. It is my opinion that Mountain Home, Idaho is a city in decline. While you could find goods and services in that town, I suggest you avoid Mountian Home completely.

My Most Popular Stories