Friday, October 20, 2017

The Big Draw MTB Ride in the Bruneau Desert

A mountain bike ride high above the desolation of the Bruneau-Jarbidge Rivers Wilderness of Idaho.

The fear of falling was a motivator for not getting too close to the edge.

Summary of a Mountain Bike Ride: This ride was originally part of a longer ride in the desert southeast of Bruneau, Idaho on October 18, 2017. Located in the desolated region containing the Bruneau River Canyon and only 70 ‘as-the-crow-flies’ miles southeast of Boise makes this a good day ride to see some spectacular scenery.

The Ride: The approach road was 6-9 miles of washboard and rutted gravel road with the main problem finding safe parking off Blackstone-Grasmere road. I found my safe spot about 2 miles further into the desert than I originally intended.

Once on my bike, the gently rolling hills made biking a little more interesting. Gravel/dirt roads in this area aren’t marked very well and from my experience, they aren’t maintained very often either. To highlight this point I completely missed my first turn heading east towards the canyons. Later in the day, I came out that road and I understand why I missed the turn on this loop-type ride. It didn't even look like a road nor a trail.

This is the turn or intersection I missed. It's on the left ;-)


The highlight of the trip was riding down more widely traveled unnamed trail that followed the rim of an unnamed canyon to a spit of land high above the Bruneau River Canyon. The view from that spit of land was dizzying and spectacular. Really … it was “Wow.”

Once I took in the views from all sides of that spit of land, I headed back to find the trail I should have been on before riding this road. Yes, I did have maps and had the capability to get back on the original circuit that I planned. But once I discovered I missed that first turn, I decided riding the planned loop in reverse couldn’t hurt. The bonus being I was staying on my published route.

The loop road was turned out to be a two-track that wasn’t marked. This loop part of the ride is an official BLM jeep trail while the trail out to the canyon rim is not. My expectation was this part of the ride would be flat and a speedy ride. That didn’t pan out either.

There is an Air Force A-10 aircraft in this photo. They flew close to me but I was slow on the camera.


The loop road was flat but bumpier than the worst washboarded road I’ve been on. I probably cruised this two-track at 10 miles an hour and it tried to shake my brains loose for most of its length. The scenery wasn’t exactly special either. I did watch two military A-10 aircraft flying in the canyon only about 1/3 of a mile away. You don’t get to see that very often in other places in the world unless it’s a war zone.

This wasn’t a mountain biker’s ride but more of a touring #mtb exploring an area not many have ever ventured on a bicycle.

The Ride Details
Date Of Ride: October 18, 2017
Name of Ride: The Big Draw MTB Ride in the Bruneau Desert
Link To Photographs From Ride: https://photos.app.goo.gl/fNfYsEAwyRMEjfld2
Bike Ridden: Giant Talon 2 (2017)
Total Mountain Bike Mileage: 13.8 miles
Vertical Feet: +669 feet / -689 feet
Average Slope: +1.7% / -1.5%
Elevation Ranges: 3,401 feet / – 3,736 feet
Facilities At Trailhead: None
Land Ownership: 100% on public BLM lands. I may have entered the Bruneau-Jarbidge Rivers Wilderness while walking around the above mentioned “spit” of land.
Road Mileage from Boise, Idaho to Trailhead: 80 miles

Why "The Big Draw"? The Crowbar Gulch topo map identified it as such. 


If venturing to this area, please understand the small town of Mountain Home, Idaho to the north of this area is a city in decline. Your best options are to avoid the place completely and stock up on food, supplies, and gas elsewhere. #MountainHomeIdaho #CityInDecline

If you would like more information about mountain biking, hiking, rockhounding or any type of outdoor adventures southern Idaho, USA, I will be glad to discuss your options.

This story was originally published on October 20, 2017.

Thanks,



Tim Bondy
Freelance Writer & Citizen Journalist

I am currently a proud citizen journalist, aka, "enemy of the American People!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Social Media Good?

 What? What 2