![]() |
| Panoramic views to the northwest of a ridge leading up to Granite Mountain in southwest Idaho, USA in Nov 2017. |
Summary of hike
This November 12, 2017, headed up towards the 6,818 foot tall Granite Mountain above Anderson Ranch Reservoir and the South Fork of the Boise River. For all practical purposes, there are no trails leading up to Peak 5289 and eventually the unnamed Peak 5403. The views from these peaks were spectacular. I recommend giving this route a try someday.
The Story
I was surprised the weather has cooperated enough to be able to hike this area in mid-November but I won't complain ... much. Rain, 36 hours prior to the hike, made the ground uncharacteristically soft and grippy but not muddy at all.
![]() |
| Sproule Flat in the foreground and Bennett Mountain is the snow-covered peak in the distance |
The route I chose took me straight up the escarpment to Sproule Flat above the Boise River. From there I spotted the peak I wanted to get to and started towards the ridgeline that would get me there. I had this hike all planned and annotated on the topographic maps loaded on my smartphone.
Sometimes Google Earth and topo maps don't tell the whole story and other times I just feel like forging another route. That's the great thing about hiking in southern Idaho. For the most part, the landscape allows you to see your peak and chose what route looks most desirable. I deviated a little from my planned route in a grass-is-greener sort of way.
![]() |
| At the trailhead, you can see the first section of the hike is rather steep. |
This was a steep and strenuous hike for me. The average slope of the entire hike worked out to be about 23% during the 2.92 mile out and back hike. While there weren't any official trails to Peak 5289 and beyond, game trails through the sagebrush steppe and thicket were numerous. There is also an abundance of large lava rock slide in certain portions of the hike. Avoid these at all cost ... ankle strainers for sure.
The options for a hike in this area are numerous. It could be cut short by stopping on Sproule Flats or it could be lengthened by continuing up to Granite Peak and past. I stopped well before my goal which would have added 2 miles and 1,000 elevation gain/loss to the hike.
![]() |
| The rocks in the foreground is what I considered Peak 5389 and the "U" shaped rock outcropping on the ridge beyond is peak 5404 |
The weather? The forecast was for relatively light winds and mostly cloudy skies. And for the most part, the National Weather Service forecast was correct. However, as I approach Peak 5289, the winds were screaming. by the time I reach Peak 5403, the winds were even stronger. While this was disappointing, my experience tells me this is quite normal. Weather models and weather forecaster rarely can correctly forecast the winds on mountain ridges and peaks. Moral of the story? Be prepared for wind whenever hiking in Idaho. I was.
Name of Hike: Hike To Peaks 5289 and Peak 5403 Above Sproule Flat
Link To Photographs: https://photos.app.goo.gl/n2ObMYsnG2q2fSKu1
Total Hike Mileage: 2.92 miles
Vertical Feet: +1,833 feet / -1,833 feet
Average Slope: +23.0% / -23.9%
Elevation Ranges: 3,770 feet / 5,398 feet (Peak 5,403)
Hike Time: 3 hours 32 minutes
Facilities At Trailhead: None
Gear Used: Outdoor Product hiking pole and New Balance hiking boots
Land Ownership: 100% National Forest public lands (Boise National Forest)
Road Mileage from Boise, Idaho to Trailhead: 72 miles
Online Map of This Hike/ Bike / Adventure: It's available and you can contact me via the form on this site or leave a comment stating your wishes.
The Hike Details
Date Of Hike: November 12, 2017.Name of Hike: Hike To Peaks 5289 and Peak 5403 Above Sproule Flat
Link To Photographs: https://photos.app.goo.gl/n2ObMYsnG2q2fSKu1
Total Hike Mileage: 2.92 miles
Vertical Feet: +1,833 feet / -1,833 feet
Average Slope: +23.0% / -23.9%
Elevation Ranges: 3,770 feet / 5,398 feet (Peak 5,403)
Hike Time: 3 hours 32 minutes
Facilities At Trailhead: None
Gear Used: Outdoor Product hiking pole and New Balance hiking boots
Land Ownership: 100% National Forest public lands (Boise National Forest)
Road Mileage from Boise, Idaho to Trailhead: 72 miles
Online Map of This Hike/ Bike / Adventure: It's available and you can contact me via the form on this site or leave a comment stating your wishes.
Outdoor Concierge Service
I will prepare a digital hiking plan in this area for you for as little as $20 or other places in southern Idaho. Use my “Contact Me” form on this site or leaving me a comment on this story stating your wishes.
If you would like more information about mountain biking, hiking, rockhounding or any type of adventures in the (Boise National Forest, Owyhee Front, Danskin Mountains, along the Bruneau-Jarbidge Rivers Wilderness or Bruneau Desert), I will be glad to discuss some outdoor options. Use the contact form on this site I'll get back to you.
In Decline Statement
If venturing to this area, please understand the local opinion is my hometown of Mountain Home, Idaho is a city in decline. There are some businesses thriving, but not many. Your best options are to avoid the place completely and stock up on food, supplies, and gas elsewhere. #MountainHomeIdaho #CityInDecline
This story was originally published on November 13, 2017.
Thanks,
Tim Bondy
Freelance Writer & Citizen Journalist
I am currently a proud citizen journalist, aka, "enemy of the American People!"
This story was originally published on November 13, 2017.
Thanks,
Tim Bondy
Freelance Writer & Citizen Journalist
I am currently a proud citizen journalist, aka, "enemy of the American People!"




No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.