Saturday, November 4, 2017

Mountain Bike Ride To The Big Draw Near The Bruneau-Jarbidge Rivers Wilderness

Mountain Bike Ride To The "Big Draw" In The Bruneau-Jarbidge Rivers Wilderness Canyon

This is a photograph of the Big Draw


Summary of a ride: This little-visited part of the Owyhee County, Idaho is called the Bruneau Desert and my mountain bike ride took me out next to the Bruneau-Jarbidge Rivers Wilderness area. The true and official wilderness is literally two steps from my Giant Talon 2 bike (in the photo above) while the rest of the land is 100% publicly owned. During this October 18, 2017, ride, I gained a new appreciation for this part of our country. If you want a truly unique place to ride, this southern Idaho area would be one of the locations you should seek out.

More information about the Bruneau–Jarbidge Rivers Wilderness can be found at https://www.blm.gov/visit/bruneau-jarbidge-rivers-wilderness-area

The Story: Finding a place to park and use as a trailhead was a little difficult because almost the entire ride is on narrow two-track ranching roads. The chances of encountering another vehicle are pretty slim but one doesn't want to impede neither ranchers nor the occasional hunter on their way to fill a deer or elk tag. I found a spot.

The trailhead and parking area for the Big Draw Ride


I had the entire ride planned out and annotated on my 7.5-minute topo maps. It seemed like a pretty straightforward ride but I missed my first turn that would have taken me towards the deep river canyon. As it turned out, missing the turn wasn't a negative. It got me to the "Big Draw" portion of the canyon and it was spectacular. I would have come upon the Big Draw later in the ride but being fresh when coming upon such awe-inspiring scenery is better. Good for me.

The landscape when unable to view any of the deep river gorges in the area is actually quite unremarkable and dare I say, boring. It's also quite flat. The mountain biking couldn't ever be called technical by any means but there was still some dangerous bits to ride. Let's just say tumbleweeds cover many of the small draws and that dead vegetation tends to cover up large bolder and basketball sized rocks on the not-ever-maintained two-tracks. Just a fair warning.

The sagebrush steppe of the Bruneau Desert in Idaho. My lunch stop too.

On this Wednesday afternoon I was riding, two A-10 fighter aircraft were flying through the nearby canyon. Quite impressive to watch these weird looking aircraft flying, nap of the earth, 300 yards from the two track I was navigating. Very cool. Seeing those A-10 aircraft isn't unusual because the U.S. Air Force maintains a bombing range a few miles to the east.


The Ride Details
Date Of Hike / Ride: October 18, 2017
Name of Hike / Ride: Mountain Bike Ride To The Big Draw Near The Bruneau-Jarbidge Rivers Wilderness Canyon
Link To Photographs: https://photos.app.goo.gl/fNfYsEAwyRMEjfld2
Total Biking Mileage: 13.8 miles
Vertical Feet: +669 feet / -689 feet
Average Slope: +1.7% / -1.5%
Elevation Ranges: 3,401 feet / 3,736 feet
Total Time On Trails: 2 hours 40 minutes
Facilities At Trailhead: None
Land Ownership: 100% BLM public lands
Gear Used: 2017 Giant Talon 2 Mountain Bike
Road Mileage from Boise, Idaho to Trailhead: 79.7 miles

Outdoor Concierge Service:
If you would like more information about mountain biking, hiking, rockhounding or any type of outdoor adventures along the Bruneau-Jarbidge Rivers Wilderness or Bruneau Desert, I will be glad to discuss some outdoor options. Use the contact form on this site or leave a comment and I'll get back to you.

In Decline Statement: If venturing to this area, please understand the local opinion is my hometown of Mountain Home, Idaho is a city in decline. There are some businesses thriving, but not many. Your best options are to avoid the place completely and stock up on food, supplies, and gas elsewhere. #MountainHomeIdaho #CityInDecline

This story was originally published on November 4, 2017.

Thanks,



Tim Bondy
Freelance Writer & Citizen Journalist

I am currently a proud citizen journalist, aka, "enemy of the American People!"


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Social Media Good?

 What? What 2