![]() |
| Opal Mountain or Peak 4602 is where I was headed. |
Summary of a local hike: The first real hike of the fall is highlighted in this post. The Owyhee Mountains of southern Idaho have been my cold season go-to recreation location for many years. With a cloudy and windy day predicted by weather experts, I decided some peak bagging was in order.
The Story: I named a peak in this area "Opal Mountain" about five years ago and this hike would take me back to the same mountain but I would be approaching the peak from a different direction. Peak 4602 is normally attacked from the north starting at a parking area off the Poison Creek Cut-off Road. This hike started from the Poison Creek Canyon heading south on a narrow hiking/motorcycle trail in the creekbed.
![]() |
| Vein of jasper |
I then headed west toward the not-so-distant peaks and just linked from one peak to the next. I had no real destination but did want to explore this area a little more than I did in the past. The geology of this small area is interesting. There are pockets and veins of opal, agate, and jasper in an otherwise sterile rockhounding environment. The rocks are the reason I keep coming back here.
Overall, I bagged about four minor peaks and three named peaks during this 3.5 hour wandering of the Owyhee Mountains. This place is an ideal place to get away from it all. In the 10 times I've been out in this area, it rare that I encounter another person. On this day, Oct. 11, 2017, I saw one truck on the main dirt road and a parked RV off in the distance.
The Hike Details
Date Of Hike: October 11, 2017
Name of Hike / Ride: Peak Bagging Opal Mountain Area of the Owyhee Mountains
Link To Photographs: https://photos.app.goo.gl/UoS9gREY0jdveT3p1
Total Hike: 4.40 miles
Vertical Feet: +1,502 feet / -1,504 feet
Average Slope: +12.2% / -13.6%
Elevation Ranges: 3,660 feet / 4,626 feet
Approximate Time On Trail: 3 hours 30 minutes
Facilities At Trailhead: None
Land Ownership: 100% BLM public lands
Road Mileage from Boise, Idaho to Trailhead: 73 miles
Online Map of This Hike: It's available and should contact me or leave a comment stating your wishes.
Outdoor Concierge Service: If you would like more information about mountain biking, hiking, rockhounding or any type of outdoor adventures along the Owyhee Front, I will be glad to discuss some outdoor options.
In Decline Statement: If venturing to this area, please understand the local opinion is my hometown of Mountain Home, Idaho is a city in decline. There are some businesses thriving, but not many. Your best options are to avoid the place completely and stock up on food, supplies, and gas elsewhere. #MountainHomeIdaho #CityInDecline
This story was originally published on November 3, 2017.
Thanks,
Tim Bondy
Freelance Writer & Citizen Journalist
I am currently a proud citizen journalist, aka, "enemy of the American People!"


No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.