Friday, November 24, 2017

Peakbagging The Edge Of The Danskin Mountains

A late November 2017 peakbagging hike where I collected three peaks and some great views of southern Idaho's desert mountains.

The three peaks I bagged on Nov. 22, 2017

The Story

This was a late season hike and the way Idaho's weather can close in on me, it was supposed to be just a quick scramble to the top of Peak 5378. But my trained meteorological eyes told me the weather was obviously going to cooperate for the entire day so I decided to add a few peaks to the hike.

Steepness


I believe officially the hike was in the Danskin Mountains but geographically and geologically the route seemed more like the Mount Bennett Hills instead. The trailhead is just a wide spot on a dirt road and heads pretty quickly up a rather steep grade. There are no trails up this lava rock escarpment. 

During the first hour of the hike up, there was a 500-foot section of 39% average slope and places that seemed more cliff-like than trail. I try not to look down and I do better when things get steep like that.

Peak 5285


Self-named Peak 5285 (Blue Dot) took this old codger less than an hour to plant my boots on it. The view over the Snake River Plains, Bennett Mountain and the snow-capped peaks of the Soldier and Trinity Mountains were all quite visible from the peak. The name "peak" is being generous as it wasn't readily apparent where the unofficial peak was even on a topo map. My 7.5-minute quad topo map does show a closed contour giving me the opportunity to call it a "peak."

Next ...

A one-half mile hike to the northwest put me on another self-named peak. Peak 5377 is a little more visually prominent than Peak 5285 providing different views. Being a little closer to the Long Tom Creek, that river valley stood out as did the Snake River Plains. From the peak, I could easily see a two-track dirt road leading to my final destination and that was a little unexpected.

Peak 5377


Peak 5378 was less than one-half mile away and I took advantage of that path. As peaks go, it certainly didn't stand out as much of a feature. It's also where the two-track deadends. Again, the views were spectacular. I could easily see out to the Soldier Mountains, the Trinity Mountains, The Owyhee Mountains and the Jarbidge Mountains in Nevada. There is also a place where Long Tom Reservoir is visible and the juxtaposition of the deep blue against the nearly solid tan landscape of this area was striking.

The view of Long Tom Reservoir from Peak 5378


There were two features I found during the hike that I couldn't explain. See the two photos below for a good visual. The bottom photo shows a metal post recently drilled into solid rock on Peak 5378. The other was a small fenced-in area near the trailhead. If you have an explanation, leave a comment or use my contact form.


A small fenced area but why so small an area?

A metal post drilled into solid rock and recently painted

The Hike Details

Date Of Hike: November 22, 2017
Name of Hike: Hike To Peak 5378
Link To Photographs: https://photos.app.goo.gl/mtMRYiDtN9jCuCok2
Total HikeMileage: 3.2 mile out and back hike
Vertical Feet: +1,383 feet / -1,378 feet
Average Slope: +16.2% / -15.8%
Elevation Ranges: 4,503 feet / 5,379 feet
Total Time On Trail: 3 hours 20 minutes
Facilities At Trailhead: None
Gear Used: New Balance hiking boots, Outdoor Product hiking stick
Land Ownership: 100% BLM public lands
Road Mileage from Boise, Idaho to Trailhead: 56.5 miles
Online Map of This Adventure: It's available and should contact me or leave a comment stating your wishes.

Outdoor Concierge Service

An online map of this hiking/biking/fishing adventure is available by using the “Contact Me” form on this site or leaving me a comment on this story stating your wishes.

If you would like more information about mountain biking, hiking, rockhounding or any type of adventures in the (Danskin Mountains, along the Bruneau-Jarbidge Rivers Wilderness or Bruneau Desert), I will be glad to discuss some outdoor options. Use the contact form on this site I'll get back to you.

In Decline Statement 

If venturing to this area, please understand the local opinion is my hometown of Mountain Home, Idaho is a city in decline. There are some businesses thriving, but not many. Your best options are to avoid the place completely and stock up on food, supplies, and gas elsewhere. #MountainHomeIdaho #CityInDecline

This story was originally published on November 24, 2017.

Thanks,





Tim Bondy
Freelance Writer & Citizen Journalist

I am currently a proud citizen journalist, aka, "enemy of the American People!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Social Media Good?

 What? What 2