Sunday, December 3, 2017

Hike to Peak 5651 in the Owyhees above Perjue Canyon

This cross-country hike in the Owyhee Front south of Grand View, Idaho heads up a rather unique butte like area that I first climbed earlier this year. A different yet similar route up resulted in a completely different experience. Crazy cool views too.



From near Peak 5651 looking north towards the Snake River Plains


The Story

About 45 miles south of a small town just off Interstate 84 is a lonely rural road not many people travel. This road starts out paved but as it touches the Owyhee Front, it becomes a sometimes well-maintained gravel road that heads into a desolate part of southern Idaho. It is from this road that outdoor adventures can be found and I have ... quite often.

On November 26, 2017, I headed south out of Nowhere Town, Idaho, on a windy and variable cloudiness day. And it was warm with temperatures in the upper 50F. As I arrived at the trailhead, I realized the last human I saw was a rancher/farmer 20 minutes earlier going the opposite direction.

The sun highlights Peak 5651 


With my backpack strapped on, camera/GPS/digital map device calibrated and ready for a steep hike up towards a sheer rock wall only one mile to the east, I place one foot in front of the other and pushed off. I entered the Little Jacks Creek Wilderness just steps from my parking spot and didn't leave it for the next 3.5 hours.

The desolate beauty of this area obviously escapes most people who live in southern Idaho. Not many people come down to this easily accessible sagebrush steppe desert area other than hunters and OHR riders. While hiking trails in this part of the world are almost non-existent, the massive opportunity for cross-country hiking is undeniable.

Perjue Canyon is in the background.


During this hike, I decided to not hike up to Peak 5651. Instead, I wander down towards Perjue Canyon. That canyon was quite rugged looking as I sat on a rock outcropping eating lunch. The decision to forego the peak was because of some miserable decisions as I approach the cliffs below. That decision lead me up through a steep scree-like field except the scree was cantaloupe and way larger in size. In other words, leg or ankle breakers.

My truck and the BLM Poison Creek Picnic Site can be seen from this wilderness land


The hike back to my vehicle was uneventful as my decision making suddenly got better. There was one fenceline to deal with on the journey and I found what looked like a game trail for a long stretch of the return. Probably a game trail? I also walked among the cow patties for most of this hike. It's hard to understand how cattle could still be roaming the Peak 5651 area as it's all official wilderness lands. I have an inquiry in with the BLM on this issue.

The Hike Details

Date Of Hike: November 26, 2017, but also March 12, 2017
Name of Hike / Ride: Owyhee Front Peak 5651 and Perjue Canyon Hike
Name Of KML/KMZ: OWY - Peak 5651 and Perjue Canyon Hike - 26Nov2017
Link To Photographs: https://photos.app.goo.gl/fovjI9qdBlzWfa362
Total Hike Mileage: 3.82 miles
Vertical Feet: +1,505 feet / -1,505 feet
Average Slope: +14.9% / -14.6%
Elevation Ranges: 4,439 feet / 5,489 feet
Hike Time: 3 hours 30 minutes
Facilities At Trailhead: Pit toilet close-by and picnic tables
Gear Used: New Balance hiking  boots and Outdoor Product hiking pole
Land Ownership: 100% Wilderness
Road Mileage from Boise, Idaho to Trailhead: 76 miles
Online Map of This Hiking Adventure: It's available by contacting through this website.


Outdoor Concierge Service

An online map of this hiking/biking/fishing adventure is available by using the “Contact Me” form on this site or leaving me a comment on this story stating your wishes.

If you would like more information about mountain biking, hiking, rockhounding or any type of adventures in the (Danskin Mountains, along the Bruneau-Jarbidge Rivers Wilderness or Bruneau Desert), I will be glad to discuss some outdoor options. Use the contact form on this site I'll get back to you.

In Decline Statement

If venturing to this area, please understand the local opinion is my hometown of Mountain Home, Idaho, is a city in decline. There are some businesses thriving, but not many. Your best options are to avoid the place completely and stock up on food, supplies, and gas elsewhere. #MountainHomeIdaho #CityInDecline

This story was originally published on December 3, 2017.

Thanks,





Tim Bondy
Freelance Writer & Citizen Journalist

I am currently a proud citizen journalist, aka, "enemy of the American People!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Social Media Good?

 What? What 2